[wisb] A few FOY birds at Bong in Kenosha County

  • From: jerry937975@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:32:40 -0500

It was surprisingly quiet on a walk at Bong State Recreation Area in Kenosha
County today and birds were very hard to come by.  Yet, a lone Turkey Vulture
teetered its way north (no doubt my first February record) and a pair of
Sandhill Cranes flew by calling as they went.  Canada Geese started gathering
across the street from my house in Racine County and a small Mallard flock
joined them.  A Robin made a brief appearance in my yard today as well. I had a
nice surprise of a Fox Sparrow earlier in the week, as I had not seen one
anywhere in the yard before or since.  White-crowned Sparrows, at least 3,
continue to make sporadic visits to the feeders, as they have done all winter.
I had a lone female Am. Wigeon and a pair of Redhead along the Racine
lakefront, along with the wintering Common and Hooded Mergansers.

Jerry DeBoer
Central Racine County