[wisb] Re: 6TH AVE MARSH MADNESS

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: acadiantigerheron@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:47:12 +0000 (UTC)

After getting a text from Rob (thank you!), I got there around 6:30pm and
stayed until almost 8pm. I could not relocate the Willet nor the American
Avocets. I did see the Hudsonian Godwit (a juvenile from what I could tell),
the Red-necked Phalarope (a juvenile), and 5 Buff-breasted Sandpipers.
Unfortunately, some of the shorebirds flew away around 7:45pm (some went deeper
into the wetland) when some Sandhill Cranes and Great Egrets took over their
foraging spot. I also saw 2 Whooping Cranes (there were several others that I
didn't see), a flock of about 10 Black Terns, and a few lingering Sedge Wrens.

I also checked out Lost Creek Wetland yesterday, which is just outside of
Stevens Point in Portage County. There was nothing too unusual, although 2
Olive-sided Flycatchers, a few lingering Bobolinks and 10 Dickcissels, several
Gadwall, 1 female Ruddy Duck, and 7 shorebird species graced me with their
presence.

Good shorebirding!

Alyssa DeRubeis

Stevens Point, Portage Co.