[wisb] 2/5 - Birding in the Southern Kettle Moraine

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 17:09:55 -0600

A few birding friends decided that every month we would make a point of
birding together and going "where the birds are".  For February, myself, Ed
Hahn, Paula Stich, Anne Moretti, Ellen Krzyston, and Dale and Maureen Gross,
headed out to the Southern Kettle Moraine Forest to see if we could relocate
some of the recently spotted birds in that area.
We all gathered at Anne's home and were greeted with a good kick-start to
the day by a male PILEATED WOODPECKER while comfortably inside the kitchen.
 Anne and Pat also have a good sized population of PINE SISKINS whose
constant buzzing made hearing any other birds in the yard a chore.  Three
PURPLE FINCHES were also seen along with many resident feeder birds.

The group hit the road and stopped first at Scuppernong Springs. While
hiking through the foot of snow and around the creek we located two BELTED
KINGFISHERS, a GREAT BLUE HERON, an AM. ROBIN and a AM. BLACK DUCK among
other local birds, but could not locate the Winter Wren, Gadwall,
Hermit Thrush or Red-shouldered Hawk.

Next we made our way to Paradise Springs where Maureen was the only birder
able to catch a glimpse of the WINTER WREN before it made off down the
creek.  While attempting to relocate the wren, however, everyone was able to
get very good looks at the male RUSTY BLACKBIRD as it waded through the
creek looking for breakfast.

Next we decided to make our way down some country roads in search of shrikes
and hawks.  Before we could get very far, though, Anne spotted a large bird
in a tree above the road.  An adult BALD EAGLE was perched directly over Cty
Hwy N.  It gave good looks and did not seem too perturbed by our presence,
even though a passer-by decided to rudely lay on the horn while passing us.
 As we continued along the country roads, we failed to locate a single
shrike, but were able to spot numerous hawks, many of them ROUGH-LEGGED
HAWKS, both of the light and dark morph.

It was a good day of birding with the group totaling 28 species, and we got
a good workout as well while traipsing through the snow!

Cheers and GO PACK GO!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI