[wisb] Riveredge Bird Club up north

  • From: Carl Schwartz <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:23:38 -0600

First two days of our annual trip have gone well after a slow start, whiffing
on Golden Eagle and Greater Prairie Chicken. But we did find hundreds of Snow
Buntings and a Ruffed Grouse in the cranberry bogs and a Northern Shrike on
Ball Rd. Got the Red-Headed WP on Town Line Rd. and a stop at UWSP yielded the
Townsend's Solitaire and his sidekick AMRO. In Tomahawk (after a tip from Peter
Fissel) we found the large flock of 200+ Bohemian Waxwings plus five Pine
Grosbeaks. Saturday started with a dozen Spruce Grouse (maybe more because some
flushed) at 7 am onFire Lane Rd. north of Conover. We persuaded a flyover flock
of Red Crossbills to heed our pishes and land above us.
We added Evening Grosbeaks and Common Redpolls in Alvin, Gray Jays and Boreal
Chickadees near the Pine River Crossing and found 75 Pine Siskins and a Purple
Finch at a feeder. Plan to try again Sunday for Black- backed WP,
Carl Schwartz
Eagle River

Sent from my iPhone####################