[wisb] Feb 5 birding

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:12:16 -0600

I started this morning at Menasha which had 4 Ruddy Ducks, 2 Lesser
Scaup and a Mute Swan at Jefferson Park.  At James Is. there were 10
cormorants.
Kimberly and Kaukauna had only standard waterfowl.

Green Bay had a Wood Duck, several Shovelers, a Coot, female Hooded
Merganser.  Bald Eagles were along the Fox River from Menasha to
Green Bay.  Gull numbers were considerably lower than a week or so
ago.  Only Herrings were seen.

The Kewaunee harbor had an adult male White-winged Scoter, Ruddy Duck
and 2 Lesser Scaup plus the usual fare.  A good number of gulls were
here that included 2 Ring-billeds, and single Glaucous and Great
Black-backed.

Point Beach SF had both Glaucous and Great Black-backed Gulls on the
ice (about 7-8 of each).

The Two Rivers harbor is basically ice.  However north of the harbor
some ducks were working along the edge of the shore/ice.  Among them
was a young male Harlequin Duck.  (This is by the first or second
parking lot in the park.)

For the day about 51 species.  It felt good to get out and see some
birds.  I think cabin fever is setting in, and we missed the big
storm that hit east and south of Appleton.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI