[windows2000] Two NICs & two networks

  • From: "Ray at work" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:51:00 -0400

Hi list,

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get my computer to "see" two networks
at one time in this scenario?

My home computer has two NICs, one wired and one wireless (finally!).  Under
normal usage, I use the wireless NIC and don't have a cable plugged into the
wired one at all.  I use a Cisco VPN client to connect to the network where
I work, and upon doing so, I can see no computers on my home network.  This
does not surprise me.  But, now that I have two NICs, what I'm hoping to do
is have the VPN client "bind" to one of the NICs, and have the other NIC
settings remain unaffected.  If I can do that, that makes me think that the
one NIC could "see" my network at work, while the other one would still be
able to see my network at home.  If it matters at all, the network at work
is all 192.168.1,2,3,4,5....*, whereas at home, I'm all 192.168.0.*.  So, it
just a matter of changing subnet masks or something?  Perhaps it is a Cisco
VPN client configuration change to tell it to only use a specific network
connection.  Perhaps it's something else.  Perhaps it's not possible.

Right now I'm VPN'ed into work over my wireless connection.  I was hoping I
could plug a cable into my other network jack and magically be able to see
my home network.  That did not happen.

Thanks for any info.

Ray at home