[windows2000] Re: Remote software removal

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:22:12 -0800

>From: "Nail, Larry" <lnail@xxxxxx>
>All this is doable via a script, but it'll take you some time to track down
>everything you want to get rid of.  Use SC.exe to remove services (I
>recommend you use SC.exe or NETSVC.exe to stop the services first).  Use
>REG.exe or REGINI.exe from the resource kit to remove registry entries.
>Use
>standard file calls to the remote system via \\system\c$ to delete files.
>
>Don't forget to remove short cuts in your start menu, and in
>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
>
>You could also use VBScript by creating a script that does it locally, copy
>it to the client and then use WMI to launch it on the client
>(objWMIService.Create - look it up on the Technet Script Center).  This
>would limit you to W2K & XP clients or NT clients with WSH5.6 & WMI 1.5
>installed tho.

K, I can make that work, I was just hoping there was some built in way to
access the add/remove programs remotely so I wouldn't have to take the
effort to track down all the pieces.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens.  The
sleeper must awaken." -- Duke Leto Atreides