[windows2000] Re: LDAP Printer Mapping in Cold Fusion

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:52:41 -0500

Your webmaster is wrong.  Cold fusion runs on the server.  Sure, if you
really want to, you could use CF to execute a remote command on the
client machine requesting the page off the intranet server, but even
then, it's the client process that does the mapping.

Think about this.  When you log in to a domain and your login scripts
run and map your drives and stuff, what's doing the mapping?  The domain
controller or your machine?  The domain controller is simply hosting the
login script for your computer to execute and process on its own.

A server-side web programming technology cannot perform actions on the
client machine, aside from writing cookies and what not.

One could create a CF-based intranet application that would allow a user
to see printers in the domain, select the printer he'd liked to be
mapped to and then the CF app could update login scripts or policies or
whatever, but it will still be the client machine that will perform the
actual action of mapping the printer the next time the user logs in.

Ray at work