[windows2000] Re: Got new HD, put it in, don't know what to do now to rebuild RAID array

  • From: "Mustafa Ibrahim Abdi" <mustafa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:22:59 +0100

Try these:

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14677

http://www.win2ktech.com/faq/faqs2k/raid2kfaq.htm

Good luck.

Mustafa

-----Original Message-----
From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of rfalanga@xxxxxxx
Sent: 16 September 2003 23:14
To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [windows2000] Got new HD, put it in, don't know what to do now
to rebuild RAID array

I have already mentioned on this list how I am trying to rebuild a
RAID-5 array.  (It uses SCSI.)  I have finally gotten the new drive
in, and put it into place.  I have found out that I do not have a
hardware RAID configuration.  It is all handled through software
(Windows 2000 Server).  Let me describe the hardware, as I see it:

There are 4 hard drives.

They all must be SCSI drives, as they are all connected by the same
data cable to the motherboard, where I see an Adaptec chip resides.
(AIC-7880)

OK, that is what I know, physically.   Before I put the new SCSI drive
in, I made as certain as I could that the jumpers were OK, so that it
would be the ID number in the SCSI sequence.  I used the old HD?s
jumper configuration as a template, and wrote it down before taking
off the jumpers.

Now I have turned on the server, and gone into Computer Manager.  Here
is what I see there:

Disk 0: it has 3 partitions.  The first is for the OS and is a simple
dynamic partition.  It is not a part of the RAID.  The second
partition is a part of the RAID, and it has the status of ?Failed?.
There is an unallocated amount of disk space as the third partition.

Disk 1: This has 2 partitions.  The first is a part of the RAID, and
it has a status of ?Failed?.  The second is some left over disk space.

Disk 2: This is my new HD.  It has a status of ?Unallocated?.

Disk 3: This has the word ?Missing? next to it, but I can see that it
is supposed to be a part of the RAID.  It has a status of ?Failed?.

Disk 4: This also has the word ?Missing? next to it, and I can also
see that it is supposed to be a part of the RAID.  It has a status
of ?Failed?.

I am, like you, mystified to see a fifth HD, when I can clearly see
that there are only 4 HDs in the unit.  I don?t know why it thinks
there is a fifth one there.

That is the details.  What I don?t know is, what am I supposed to do
next?  I had thought that just putting the new HD in, and turning on
the server would have been sufficient for it to rebuild itself, but
that doesn?t look likely, now.  When I use the search term ?rebuild
raid? in Windows online help, I get nothing.  I big part of getting
any help is knowing what it heck the online help wants, and since I
cannot read minds, I am not always successfully in finding the magic
words.  However, I did find another article titled, ?Repair a basic
RAID-5 volume (stripe set with parity)?.  But that still doesn?t give
me enough information to know what in heck I am supposed to do.

So, I am asking you.  Please give me a step-by-step description as to
what I am supposed to do to rebuild/repair/whatever a software RAID-5
array on Windows 2000 Server.

Rod