[windows2000] Re: File replication

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <JShonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:19:24 -0800

A few points...  RAID 0 doesn't give you any fault tolerance.. Just a
perfomance boost.
Second, RAID doesn't protect the integrity of your data.  Only from a hardware
failure.  If a program trashes a file, that file will be corrupted on both
mirrored drives.

It sounds like you want to call in the National Guard to kill a rat problem.
If your worried about your data, I would suggest backing it up.  Windows 2000
Server comes with NTBackup.  NTBackup can be scheduled and it can backup files
to another server (flat-file).  This also allows you to backup the system state.

Another alternative is to use Robocopy to copy (or mirror) the Data drive on
your server.

If your still that parianoid, there are backup systems, external hard-drives
(up to 200GB now), external storage-media,  one-button online backups, etc.