[windows2000] Re: File replication

  • From: "Alfonso Lopez de Ayala" <alopezdeayala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:00:46 -0800

Ray,

Few thoughts & pointers re. this thread of yours:

RAID (1 or 5) is great indeed -- it gives you protection against HD failure
indeed. Did you know you can set software-based RAID volumes in Windows 2000?
If you don't have hardware RAID capabilities on those 2 computers, you can buy
a second hard drive for each computer and use Windows 2000 "Disk Management"
MMC and let Windows use them mimicking  whatever RAID configuration you want.

NTBackup is great to solve the problem Joe was describing ("if a program
trashes a file, that file will be corrupted on both mirrored drives") indeed...

Now about the meat of your question... note that constant replication between 2
servers still has the same problem as 2 mirrored drives (if a program trashes a
file, that file will be corrupted on both replicas)... having said that... yes
Windows 2000 Server (no need for Advanced Server) can replicate whatever
directories you choose (and its files and subfolders)... to do that windows
uses the FRS (File Replication Service)... to use FRS to replicate folders you
specify you have to use Dfs (Distributed File System) -- Windows 2000 server
has replication features for only 3 things: (1) Active Directory info (thru Ad
Replication), (2) the contents of the SYSVOL folder (thru FRS), and (3) Dfs
roots & links (thru FRS too)... Dfs terminology and stuff looks complex and
intimidating, but in reality it is so easy to set up it is a joke... I have 3
AD DCs replicating a bunch of folders constantly between each other (and they
are in different states, so they replicate thru the VPNs I set in RRAS!)...try
setting up Dfs and FRS! ...it's a great way to always have a copy of your
data...

Btw, that MSKB 296944 deals with some feature that's useful only after you've
set up Dfs... basically it says that you can filter out some files (by default
.tmp & .bak) in your replication directories so they don't waste bandwidth and
disk space replicating... I use it to filter our the backup and autosaves
AutoCAD creates all the time (in some folders where my users place their
drawing files), so these are not replicated as well, as that would be a
pointless waste -- so only the .dwg files are replicated in those folders...

One word of caution, just in case: Dfs replication does not work well with the
Offlile Files feature (caching of folders)... so use either on any specific
folder, but not both at the same time!

Hope this helps!

Alfonso