[windows2000] Re: Dedicated print server - enough performance?

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:47:52 -0500

through our print server.  But my print server is also my DC and main =
file server.  It is Dual Xeon 400's with 1gb of ram.  Dual nics running =
as an FEC team.

we have about 70 printers being served off of it and have never had any =
problems.  The only adjustment I made was to relocate the spool =
directory from the system drive to the raid array.  Most of them are set =
to spool the entire job before sending.  This means larger spool files =
but keeps my WAN users from getting one page every 30 seconds

serving up printers doesn't take a lot of machine.  Disk for the spool =
files is the biggest thing.  At least that has been the case around =
here.

If all you are going to do is serve printers off an old machine, I think =
you will be fine.

Greg