[windows2000] Re: Dedicated print server - enough performance?

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:09:41 +0200

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:19:07 -0800, Chris Berry wrote:

>>From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>I built a computer for the department with left-over components
>>(P133, 80M RAM, 2,5GB HD, 10Mbps NIC). The computer is intended to
>>be a dedicated print-server, to relieve the DCs from this task
>>altogether.
>>
>>Do you ppl think a 10Mbps NIC is enough for this purpose? We are
>>about 30-60 ppl at the dept, and the printer-server will hold
>>printer-queues for some six network printers. The OS is Win2k pro
>>with all the latest SPs and fixes.
>
>Our print server is P166 64MB RAM 5GB HDD 100Mbps NIC and works great.  It's
>only running one printer right now (a high use one though) for about 30
>people.  It's an HP Laserjet 2200D.  I've never felt that machine was very
>stressed, and I'd be quite confident adding several more printers.

I plan to add the following:

HP Laserjet 5M
HP Laserjet 4050N
HP Laserjet 4100N
HP Laserjet 4300DTN
HP Color Laserjet 4550N

and a Canon iR5000 printer copy-machine.

I *think* the printing to the colour-laser might be a bit difficult
for the printer server, however the printer does have a lot of RAM
so maybe it'll be ok anyway.

>  The only
>time the NIC could possibly come into play would be during the printing of
>lots of high res graphics, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Make sure to
>optimize it for background services rather than applications.

Good hint! Thx.

Now the only thing left is to see if I can find any info about the
mobo (and BIOS). THe company who built the computer like 50 yrs ago
went bankrupt some time ago leaving all ends loose and
unresolved...

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.