[windows2000] Re: DNS Linkage

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:47:56 -0800

From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Chris,

On each server, go into the properties for the zone that is primary on that
server, and set the IP address of the other DNS server as "Allowed to make
Zone Transfers"

Then just create a "secondary" zone on each server for the zone you want to
mirror over, and specify the original server as the master.

(Boy does that look confusing)

Example:
Server A hosts AD integrated zone for Domain A
Server B hosts AD integrated zone for Domain B

In the properties for the Domain A zone on Server A, add Server B as an
allow IP address for Zone Transfers
In the properties for the Domain B zone on Server B, add Server A as an
allow IP address for Zone Transfers
On Server A, create a new Secondary zone called "Domain B" with Server B as
the originating IP address
On Server B, create a new Secondary zone called "Domain A" with Server A as
the originating IP address

That makes sense, here is what I did:

On jmams.jmcollections.net forward lookup zone I added tesla.cbscollections.net to the name servers list and configured it to allow zone transfers and notifications to servers on the name servers list. I then created a secondary forward zone pointing to cbscollections.net I also created a secondary reverse zone pointing to 192.168.100. (which is the subnet at the other end of the VPN)

On tesla.cbscollections.net forward lookup zone I added jmams.jmcollections.net to the name servers list and configured it to allow zone transfers and notifications to servers on the name servers list. I the created a secondary forward zone pointing to jmcollections.net I also created a secondary reverse zone pointing to 192.168.1. (which is the subnet at this end of the VPN)

Allow dynamic updates is set to yes on the AD Integrated zones jmcollections.net and cbscollections.net

However, I'm getting this:

Zone not loaded by DNS server
The DNS server encountered an error while attmepting to load the zone. The transfer of zone data from the master server failed.
Please correct the problem then either press F5, or on the Action menu, click Refresh
For more information about troubleshooting DNS zone problems, see online help.

Any idea what I'm missing? The zones that I created show as being being expired instead of running on the General Properties Tab.

My TCP/IP core networking guide says standard secondary zones can perform transfers from AD Integrated zones.

I tried running nslookup to test, and got this:
(from jmams.jmcollections.net 192.168.1.51)

nslookup
server 192.168.100.50
ls -d jmcollections.net

ls: connect: No such file or directory
***Can't list domain jmcollections.net: Unspecified error

and if I try to list it locally

nslookup
ls -d jmcollections.net

[[192.168.1.51]]
***Can't list domain jmcollections.net: Query Refused

Thoughts?

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates & Coast Business Service

"When your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails." --Mark Twain

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the FREE McAfee online computer scan! http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963