[windows2000] Re: DNS Linkage

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:58:53 -0500

Chris,

On each server, go into the properties for the zone that is primary on that
server, and set the IP address of the other DNS server as "Allowed to make
Zone Transfers"

Then just create a "secondary" zone on each server for the zone you want to
mirror over, and specify the original server as the master.

(Boy does that look confusing)

Example:
Server A hosts AD integrated zone for Domain A
Server B hosts AD integrated zone for Domain B

In the properties for the Domain A zone on Server A, add Server B as an
allow IP address for Zone Transfers
In the properties for the Domain B zone on Server B, add Server A as an
allow IP address for Zone Transfers
On Server A, create a new Secondary zone called "Domain B" with Server B as
the originating IP address
On Server B, create a new Secondary zone called "Domain A" with Server A as
the originating IP address

Voila!

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.