[windows2000] Re: Accurate Windows time service?

  • From: Mike Dillinger <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:34:57 -0700

Message from "Bridget Sullivan" on 10/28/04 09:51 AM PT quoted:

Hi list, anyone know of a very accurate time service that can run on a
Windows 2000 network? We have an issue where the client computers are
occasionally lagging about 2 seconds behind the domain controller which
is supposed to control the time. The other day all of the client
computers showed 2 seconds behind our server for a period of time (a few
hours or so). The problem has gone away and they are all on the same
time again, but the issue has many worried that Windows time is not
accurate enough. Microsoft acknowledges this and dubs the Windows time
service "loosely synchronized" across the network.

They were using an older time synch client which requires all of the
clients to have the Daylight savings option unchecked, but that screws
up Outlook shared calendars and kerberos logons are a nightmare and I am
really trying to avoid dealing with all of that again. So, if there is a
very accurate time service that can work with the daylight savings
options checked, wed love to know about it.

I have been using the Windows Time Service (running on Windows 2000) for years now with no problems. You can select the daylight savings option.

You might want to take a peek at this link from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/security/wintimeserv.asp
On the right-hand side, you can click on a Word document to read. Scroll down to the section that says "Configuring W32Time". If you take a peek at the registry settings, there is a registry entry called "Period". Here you can select the time update intervals. The default setting of SpecialSkew has always worked for me. If your PC clocks are drifting 2 seconds over 8 hours, I wouldn't personally worry about it. If every 8 hours isn't frequent enough, there is a registry setting for "freq", meaning how many times per day you want to update. You could also use that.

Also from my experience - if your PC clocks are drifting too much (on the slow end), then it usually means it's time for a new motherboard battery.

-MikeD