[windows2000] Re: Accurate Windows time service?

  • From: Mike Dillinger <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:49:45 -0700

Message from "Bridget Sullivan" on 10/28/04 01:04 PM PT quoted:

Thanks for the feedback... I had seen that document, but in the
introduction is where MS states it is "loosely synchronized" and "This
service is not designed for use by applications that require greater
precision."

Unfortunately we need that extra precision since we are a radio station
and many of our on air systems and controller breaks require the exact
time. Some of the systems are servers that do not get rebooted or logged
into on a regular basis, so I don't think the logon option will work.
I'll try updating the freq setting to see if that works for the station
machines.

I'm not an NTP expert and I don't even play one on television, but I think that's as good as you're going to get. That statement is probably a CYA statement from Microsoft. I'm assuming they're compensating for stuff like network lag, hardware variances, etc. The NTP protocol is pretty straightforward.

If you wanted to be as precise as possible, you would set up your own internal NTP server that has GPS synchronization (meaning you purchase the GPS hardware/system that runs with your time server), and you could have the clients update as frequently as you want. I would think that's as accurate as you can get. Perhaps someone else has more ideas/input.

-MikeD