[windows2000] Re: A question about backing up the AD

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <JShonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:17:45 -0800

It's usually a good idea to backup each DC.  But each DC doesn't need to =
have a tape drive.  The idea of each server having a tape drive is old =
school.=20

Typically you wouldn't have more than 2 DC per site. =20
A second backup (of AD from another source) never hurts.
DCs can be restored easier without having to jump through hoops (siezing =
roles, etc)
Faster recovery times if remote sites have backups that are local to =
them.
Backing up AD on all DCs can be accomplished without having to spend =
lots of $$$..  Just schedule a job that executes ntbackup.exe and backup =
the systemstate.  You can point all of the DC to backup their =
systemstate to a central server.

Joe

=20