[windows2000] Re: A question about backing up the AD

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:33:01 -0800

>From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I learned a lot; but because I have so much to learn, I know I won't
>retain it all.  Thank God for the book, so I can look information up
>later.  :)

No no, don't look for the book, thank google.com thats pretty much the font
of all knowledge nowadays.

>I've got another important question, at least for me.  In the class we
>discussed things like backing up and restoring Active Directory.  I got
>a real big sinking feeling listening to the instructor talk about it,
>because I got the impression that I should backup AD on each and every
>domain controller in my domain!  We do have a backup system (and we've
>had opportunity to test it by restoring files in the past), but it is
>only on one server; not all of the DCs.

You don't need to back up multiple copies of the AD because they
auto-replicate so that they're all the same.  However, unless all of your
DC's are the same, you'll need a backup of each one of those.

>So, my question is, is the correct thing to do is have some sort of
>backup device on each and every domain controller?  Its only on one,
>and I don't think that one is a DC.
>If the answer to my question is "Yes", then should I just get a tape
>backup system for each DC and install it, or is there someone else I
>could do, in the event I'm forced to restore AD?

    Putting a tape drive on each one is not a good solution.  Use something
like Veritas which lets you back up remote servers.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."