  • From: "arlene" <nedster6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:41:51 -0800

Here's  to the  list  member  who  wanted  the FAQ I  had to find it  on a
floppy  disk. there  I have  the  info  should  this  computer  die!
                          Hello all

If you only save one e-mail from this list, make it this one.  I finally went
and updated, and even expanded the FAQ for the list so I'm posting it here for
all to read, and please do read it.  I wanted to make it something a little
more pleasurable, so  I hope the more conversational tone will make it a little
more fun and informative.
So, here it is, the updated FAQ!

The Winamp4TheBlind Frequently asked questions
file.
Last update 11/07/2007
Please read this document all the way through before posting to the list
because your question may already be answered here. If it is and you post
it to the list, you will just be told to read the faq, or some people may
tell you to RTFM and I think we all know what that means <grin>.

*** Winamp basics***

Q: What is the latest version of Winamp?

A:
To find out about all things Winamp-ish, head on over to the official
site, Winamp.com.
 You'll find everything you need there to make your Winamp
experience a pretty cool one, and of course, when new versions are
released, you'll get an announcement  posted to the list, most
likely by your friendly list owner and FAQ maintainer <grin>.

Q: I've got one of the 2.x versions of Winamp. Why on earth should I
upgrade when this version is working just fine for me?
A: Well, this is all a matter of opinion really.  Like many people
always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  However, if you
need technicle support from Nullsoft, the makers of Winamp, they will
probably recommend that you upgrade to the latest version so they can
better help you solve your problem.
Plus if you ask a question on the list, we can better help you if
everyone, or most everyone is using close to the same version.
Q: What's the difference between Winamp full and Winamp pro?
A: not much really. The only advantage to Winamp pro is that you can rip
CD's into mp3 and other formats, but on a lot of machines I've tried
personally it was very slow.  So you could have interesting
results.
Q: so is it worth it to upgrade to pro?
A: well, the only reason I can personally think to justify it is to throw
a few bucks their way for developing such a great audio player.

Q: So there aren't any accessibility differences between Winamp Full and
pro?
A: Absolutely none whatsoever. So don't worry about a thing.

Q: What's new in the latest version?
A: See the what's new file located in the c:\program files\Winamp
folder.
Q: But I read it and it makes absolutely no sense to me.
A: Well, don't worry because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either,
those Nullsoft dudes are programmers, and you know programmers! They
drink lots of caffeine, write code and use a language all their
own.  Basically, the newest version brings together all the good
stuff from Winamp 2 and Winamp3, thus the Winamp 5 series of
releases.  The media library has had some fixes, and you'll find
that due to a few new versions of some plugins, that your mp3s will sound
even better.  Just try it yourself and see.  After all it's
free.

Q: Haven't there been some changes to the Winamp media library? Dude
Nullsoft really dropped the ball on that one didn't they?

A: Yes, some people have said that the Media Library has gone through
some changes, but if you've been able to stay current with your releases
of the major screenreaders, both JAWS and Window-eyes offer pretty decent
support for the media Library. I personally can't speak for System
Access, NVDA or any of the others, but I know it's gotten a little better
with JAWS than it was before.

Q: Is Winamp 5 accessible with my screenreader?
A: Yes.  As long as you choose the classic skin when installing
Winamp 5.x, you'll be fine.  All the functionality you've come to
enjoy is there because Nullsoft made very few changes to the look of the
program, with the exception of a lightning bolt icon used for the media
library, and the modern skin which unfortunately is not accessible with
screenreaders...yet!  But give it time.

Q;: But I installed it and I got the modern skin anyway, is there anyway
to revert back to the classic skin?
A: sure.  Just open the preferences with control plus p and arrow
down to the skins portion of the tree view.  This is a bit tricky
since when you land in this area, you may find yourself getting stuck
there and aren't easily able to get out.  Before you do though,
you'll see a list of installed skins, and all you have to do is make sure
that classic skin is selected.  Then to get out of it, simply tab
until you hear tree view and then either press the home key to go to the
top, or end to go to the bottom, either one will do. For simplicity's
sake, I would recommend going to the top because if you arrow up from the
bottom you'll end up in the skins portion again and you may have trouble
getting out again.

Q: when a new version of Winamp is released I get a message asking me if
I want to upgrade.  How do I turn it off? It's really annoying.

A: Well, you are in luck, my friend.  To disable this, head back
over to the preferences, control plus p and then hit your home key to go
to the top like before.  But this time, you'll want to arrow down
once to the very beginning of the general preferences section.  Now,
press your tab key 7 times and you *should* land on a check box that says
check for new versions of Winamp at startup. Uncheck that box,  tab
to the close button and press enter.  You will no longer get those
bothersome announcements.  Of course, it's always good to stay with
the latest and greatest version, but I've always been one to believe that
a program should not bug you repeatedly to be upgraded. One announcement
is fine but when it gets to be a lot of times that just gets annoying.
Q: Ok, let's say I went for it and upgraded Winamp and for whatever crazy
reason, I don't like it. It's not acting the way I want it to. can I
revert back to my previous version?
A: yes, most certainly! Did you keep the instalation file for your
previous version?
Q: Yes, I did, I'm pretty good about that, I keep lots of those backed
up.
A: That's the way to do it! You might be somewhat of a newby but you're
learning fast.  Always keep those installers around.  So if you
want to revert back, the best way that I know how to do it so there won't
be any problems, is to uninstall the version you have now, making sure
that you back up your settings like bookmarks and other plugins to
another folder.  That way they're safe.  Then, simply install
the older version again, and when that's all taken care of, you can put
your bookmarks and plugins back.

  Q: when a new version of Winamp comes out, I'm afraid it won't
work with my screenreader, should I be worried?
A: Not at all, because when you go from one version to another, 5.08 C,
to 5.08D let's say, there have been absolutely no changes made to the
interface whatsoever.  The only changes made from one version to
another are purely internal, meaning that a core plugin to play a
specific file type has been updated, or a security bug may have been
fixed, or some bad code in the program may have been fixed.  But
again, you should not be at all afraid when a new version comes
out.  Simply download and install it and everything will be fine,
take it from a guy who has had literally years of experience with this
program.  Very little changes from version to version. and if any
major changes *do* happen if a new version is released, you'll no doubt
hear about it on the list.

Q: I've got software speech, butI like listening to stuff on Winamp to.
How do I control Winamp's volume independent of my software speech?
A: To do this, go back to the preferences with control plus p.
Arrow down in the tree view until you hear plugins and then arrow further
down to output.  Once there, tab to the list of output plugins and
choose Nullsoft wave out.  Your version number may varry but you're
in the right place.  Next, tab to the configure button and you'll be
in a dialogue box. tab until you hear volume control enable.  Check
that checkbox. Tab once more and you should hear volume control alt.
setting method.  You can leave this one alone or check it if you
like. I rarely use software speech but when I do I am perfectly able to
regulate both volumes just fine.  So that should do it for
you.  After you've checked these boxes, press ok, and then tab to
the close button.

Q: How do I get Winamp to play real audio files?: Is it possible?
A: This is probably the number 1 question asked on the list, and the
short answer is yes, but the plugin designed to do it only works with an
older version of real player, version real 8.
 I have heard about a program called Real Alternative, so that may
work for you, but as sad as it is, Winamp doesn't seem to have a lot of
luck with Real Audio files.  Some folks can get them to play, others
can not.

Q: Can i play Windows media streams with Winamp?
A: this is another big question, and the answer is, maybe. You may have
to do some tricky things like opening .asx files in note pad and
extracting the individual addresses of the streams, and paste them into
Winamp's Open Location dialogue with control plus l, you should be
fine.  Some streams may work, some may not. You just kind of have to
try it.  I wish I had a better answer for you but right now, i
don't.

 Q: i heard something about Real Codecs.  What's all that
about?

A: This program, which may, or may not be a hack, allows you to listen to
real audio files without the real player even being installed on your
machine. It's recommended for advanced users only, because if something
goes wrong and you need to uninstall these codecs, you won't be able to
because there's no uninstalation program.  So only use this if you
know what you're doing.  As far as the plugin for this goes, it's
still available but due to it being so old and due to the fact that it's
long out of development, we aren't helping people with it anymore.
Basically, if you download and install it and something goes wrong,
you're on your own. It's called the Tara real audio plugin. You can do a
google search for Tara Plugin and you should be able to locate it.

Q: All of a sudden, my Winamp just stopped working, it crashes whenever I
start it. What to do now?

A: First, make sure Winamp is closed and is most definitely not running
anywhere on your system.

Next, go to Windows Explorer and navigate to the c:\program files\winamp
folder. In there, you'll find a file called Winamp.ini
 Simply delete that, and restart Winamp.  It will act as if
it's a fresh install and may ask you for your user information, should
you wish to give it to Nullsoft. If not you can just check the checkbox
that says do not ask again until next Install, and then either hit the
submit button if you submitted your info, or you can just close out of it
if you like.