[wiaattorneys] Re: Disallowance hearing rules

  • From: "Pomerantz, Jane C. \(GC-LI\)" <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jalbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Paul.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:21:59 -0400

    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you that in your state a final
determination of an agency has to be appealed to state court but there
is a distinction to be made between WIA and Trade. Under Trade the
regulations state:  "[T]he rights of individuals to TAA shall be
protected in the same manner and to the same extent as the rights of
persons to UI are protected under the applicable state law."  I don't
recall seeing anything like that in the WIA law or regs.

Jane
                From: "Mason, Paul \(LABOR\)"
<Paul.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Sent by: wiaattorneys-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Date: 05/02/2006 05:13PM

                There was a presentation at the WIA Attorney Workgroups
at last year's annual meeting in which the whole Audit Resolution and
Hearing Process was discussed.  I think Florida and Indiana provided
their procedures and presented the issues.   I think you are correct
that there is no appeal to Regional Office similar to the ES Complaint
Process regulations.  The regulations allow states to use a process set
up for federal programs so it is fairly open-ended.  I think Sooni in
Florida raised a concern about being bound by their State administrative
provisions which have a similar appeal to the state court system.  The
New York State Department of Labor has a separate set of regulations for
programs not specific to programs such as UI.  I am curious to see if
you have gotten other responses.

                Paul Mason
                Associate Attorney
                State Office Campus
                Building 12, Room 509
                Albany , NY   12240
                phone: (518) 457-4380
                fax:   (518) 485-1819
                paul.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:paul.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                This transmission may contain confidential or privileged
information, which is intended for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.   If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or
distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly
prohibited.   In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may
violate laws, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of
1985.   If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately at the above address and delete the transmission
and its attachments.

  _____