[webproducers] dynamic creation of linked pages

  • From: "blebs" <blebs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:37:22 -0500

Dear All, Currently about 90% of the content in my company intranet is
static html pages that are created and updated by hand. The remaining 10% of
the content is dynamic and is stored in a SQL database that is populated and
maintained by a series of easy-to-use ColdFusion data-entry forms.

My task is to make the static content dynamic, but in such a way that going
forward, it will be easy for users to create and maintain their own content
pages. The ColdFusion forms that are currently on the site do the job for
simple types of content but they are not granular enough to capture the more
complex ones that are in static html. What I'm trying to do is structure the
data that's captured in the forms so that once it is saved to the database,
I can pull out just the bits I want and reuse them in different content
areas of the site.

I talked to my ColdFusion developer about this idea, and he tells me that
this can be done, but he doesn't know how to do it since the data would need
to be structured before it was imported into the database in order for
certain bits to be retrieved from the database later. The problem is that I
want the forms to dynamically create linked pages, or create links to pages
that do not already exist in the database before the new data is imported.

Folks in Content Systems at my company are telling  me that XML is the way
to go here but they're not sure how to integrate it with ColdFusion. So ---
I'm looking for a bridge between the two and was wondering if anyone on this
list has experience dealing with solutions for creating structured and
dynamic linked pages. Or, for company intranets, if there are any tools in a
box that you have found provide good content management.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Kelly

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx