[webproducers] Re: client project hours software

  • From: "Cortney Sellers" <cortney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:22:06 -0500

I agree with Dan.  I wanted to chime in here with a couple of additional
tools.  I recently had a bizarre problem and every scan kept coming up
clean.  I use various Pro versions of several softwares that I update and
scan with daily just in case, such as AdAware Pro, PestPatrol, Anti-virus,
etc).

I finally found 2 specific programs which helped to track and eliminate the
critters.

1.)  HiJackThis: This is the program that helped me clean up stuff that the
aforementioned programs didn't find.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

2.) Kiwi Syslog Daemon: This program logs and stores my UDP and TCP traffic.
The problem I had was someone was using my system through UDP protocols and
churning out 1000kbs of data streams in like NO time.  I don't even want to
know WHAT was truly being done, only that I wanted it stopped.  Now I have
this program that runs in the background and helped me verify the critters
were indeed gone.
http://www.kiwisyslog.com/faq/syslog/syslog_faq.htm

Others I used were:
Spybot S&D - http://security.kolla.de
Bazooka Spyware Scanner - http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/

Once I ran all of these (hijackthis in particular) -- my UDP system attacks
stopped.

Hope this helps!

Apologies for being a bit off-topic, but with us relying on our systems for
our work, and as broadband expands -- it is truthfully an extremely relevant
topic to the list, right?

Cortney