[webproducers] Re: How to Negotiate Salary

  • From: "Keren Solomon" <kerensolomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:39:31 -0500

More tips, based on my experience...

You shouldn't box yourself based on your job title.  For example, Zahid
mentions that he's looking for a PM/Producer role.  Well, I have found that
the salary range for "project managers" is much wider than for "producers."
So when he's negotiating salary, Zahid might want to reference some of the
salary information he's found for PMs.

Also, salaries grow as the job requirements get larger.  Makes sense, right?
So, AS YOU'RE INTERVIEWING, BEFORE you've discussed salary, you want to make
the person think that you can do everything in the job description, plus the
next level.  If you "grow" the job during the interview process, you'll be
in a stronger position to negotiate salary.  (Because you can say "Well, Ms.
Smith, the salary you've offered me seems reasonable for an associate
producer.  But, as I've mentioned, I also have [fill in the blank]
expertise, and that should be factored into the salary we settle on.")

Hope this is helpful.  And when you all land those wonderful high paying
jobs, don't forget to thank Morry!

keren