[wdmaudiodev] Re: waveOutSetVolume() under Vista returns MMSYSERR_NOTSUPPORTED

  • From: "Daniel E. Germann" <deg@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:41:33 -0600

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 05:10:31 -0800, Frank Yerrace wrote...

As Larry said, the wave and mixer APIs on Vista now affect only the
calling application rather than the main volume level. In general we
feel that there is rarely a need for software to affect the main volume
level. Instead, it is directly an end user function. If we can
understand your larger scenario hopefully we can give you better
guidance on how to achieve what you want to do.

Hmmm. I can see your point, and I certainly see the utility of the per-application volume settings for consumers.

What happens in AC3 or WMA over S/PDIF mode? Is the main volume level automatically forced to unity gain for these audio formats?

Our drivers allow the user to manually set the "non-audio" bit in the channel status data to allow playback of DTS/AC3/WMA streams from any application. We also have a "Set all faders to unity" button in one of our device property pages to give the user an easy way to make sure the audio is going through the entire system unaltered. Will there be a way to manipulate the main volume slider so we can continue to provide this functionality?

-Dan
--
Dan Germann
Digital Audio Labs