[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista Audio Logo Program

  • From: "Hakon Strande" <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:57:56 -0700

Jeff,

The Intel HD Audio specification outlines one way to build a UAA
compliant audio solution. It specifies how the DMA engines/controller,
the link and the codecs operate so that generic class driver support is
possible (as opposed to AC-97 which did not specify the controller
registers). It is absolutely true that a PCI add-in device would have to
implement a solution compliant with the HD Audio spec to obtain a
Designed for Vista Logo as the other UAA endorsed technologies are more
suited to external bus devices.

The other technologies currently endorsed by the UAA initiative with
standardized specifications and Microsoft UAA HW design guidelines are
USB Audio 1.0 and 1394 Audio. Future standardized technologies that may
come under the UAA initiative include BT Audio, XUSB (Windows Common
Controller Audio) and others. The main point being that these solutions
have all got to be supportable with Windows class drivers.

The main goal of the UAA initiative is to ensure guaranteed base level
audio device support for all Windows users and to improve on the
discoverability of the audio device so Windows and the Windows
application layer can better represent the capabilities of the audio
device to the user (even without a 3rd party driver present) and to
enable a more flexible, higher quality audio experience for the mass
market.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande
PM Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio Devices
MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft