[wdmaudiodev] Re: There is noise in my audio driver with USB 3.0 controller

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:34:06 -0700

Moore Zhang wrote:

> I happened to find that when I plug in my USB 1.1 audio device in the
> USB 3.0 controller port, there will be noisy when playing music with
> WMP. But if plug in USB 1.1 or 2.0 controller port, always fine. I’m
> prepared to analyze and debug the driver code now, but before that
> does any guy in this list has similar experience of this issue? Should
> AVStream audio driver make special process for USB 3.0?

Prior to Windows 8, the world of USB 3.0 is a jungle, because Microsoft
does not support it.  When you use a USB 3 host controller in Windows 7,
you are using a driver stack provided by the host controller
manufacturer.  No one knows what rules they followed, or what quality
control they used.

There SHOULD NOT be any difference for a USB 2 device plugged in to a
USB 3 port, but I know some of my web cameras do not operate in some USB
3 ports, and I have no explanation for it.

I suggest you try your device in a Windows 8 system with USB 3 and see
if it behaves correctly.