[wdmaudiodev] Re: Re : Re: USB Audio/WASAPI channel limits?

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:50:52 -0800

robert.bielik wrote:

> Hmm... USB Audio 2 class is a standardized specification. I would've
> assumed that Microsoft generally would be keen on standards compliance?

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

There are a number of USB class specs that do not have generic
in-the-box drivers from Microsoft.  There has to be a business case to
justify the considerable development and testing expense.  Standards are
only interesting if they are used.  If USB Audio 2 is a niche standard
that is only interesting to a tiny fraction of the market (and the
current evidence suggests that is the case), then it doesn't make sense
to develop a class driver.  To four decimal places, Audio Class 1.0
satisfies 100% of the Windows users in the world.

As a point of comparison, remember that Visual C++ STILL does not
support the C99 ISO standard, and there are a lot more C99 developers
than there are USB Audio 2 devices.