[wdmaudiodev] Re: Naive beginner with only a concept: front filter to use a VST plugin.

  • From: "Mike Kemp" <mjk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 08:26:20 +0100

>The overarching mantra in the redesign of the Audio Engine in Vista was
>efficiency and low latency. <
>Microsoft has made it difficult to insert arbitrary helpful "filters" in the
>audio path, because... <

I thought it was DRC: i.e. make it impossible to intercept digital audio
between the codec and the analogue output (or encrypted digital output like
HDMI/HDCP) to prevent copying.

I discarded an idea a few years ago to intercept digital audio to feed to an
application (for rescheduling streaming radio programmes) on the understanding
that MS were continuing to make interception of the digital audio stream
increasingly difficult. If that was a correct understanding, even if a way to
get into that data path is available now, it may be closed off in future
Windows updates...

Mike