[wdmaudiodev] Re: Naive beginner with only a concept: front filter to use a VST plugin.

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 15:11:37 -0700

Don Gateley wrote:

> I would like a WDM front filter that is configurable to the extent of:
>
>  1) naming the path to my VST plugins directory,
>  2) naming a single VST plugin to insert as a filter,
>  3) naming a real audio device to receive the output and
>  4) specifying parameters to the VST plugin and opening it's GUI.
>
> In my first usage it would name and utilize the PlogueBiduleVST plugin
> which is an entire framework for building up more complex flows and
> processes.

VST plugins are user-mode modules.  They're just DLLs.  There's no
kernel code involved, so WDM doesn't apply.  At the bottom end, the
hosting application pumps the resulting audio feed into the Audio Engine
for rendering to a speaker, but there must BE a hosting application.
They can't run on their own.

> I am successfully doing this now via the Virtual Audio Cable and
> VSTHost applications but would like to considerably simplify the
> mechanism for use by others with a wish to filter Windows audio in a
> general and flexible way.

There's really no easier way to do this.  You are trying to connect two
incompatible audio worlds here, so you're always going to need an ugly
adapter plate.  That's what VAC is doing for you.  Even if you made your
own VAC clone, you can't load user-mode DLLs in the kernel, and you
can't do UI stuff from the kernel.  You'd still have to have the VAC
clone pipe the data to a VST host of some kind.