[wdmaudiodev] Re: MediaCategories naming support in Vista

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mitchell Rundle <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:57:27 +0600

Hello Mitchell!

> Are the friendly names of your bridge pins showing up correctly? You
> can see this in ksstudio.

Yes, KsStudio *always* show them correctly. But Vista audio subsystem
caches these names somewhere. In spite of my driver creates
MediaCategories GUID keys dynamically during load, I can see changed names only
after full
reinstallation (with incrementing version number in the inf file) or
after Vista reboot. Seems bad. Dynamic subdevice creation and removal
cannot be implemented with dynamic name generation.

But now I have another problem: how can I assign my custom names to
the *output* endpoints instead of "Speakers"? I tried to change a name
for the topology pin having KSNODETYPE_SPEAKER type, but there was no
effect. Then I tried to change a name for the master volume node, and
it was not successful too.

BTW, I think it would be better to construct endpoint names "X (Y) Z" by the
following way:

- X is taken from the pin name (via MediaCategories) or from a
standard category if not specified;

- Y is taken from the "Name" field of the KSCOMPOINENTID if the driver
supports the COMPOINENTID query, and from a permanent device name (as
it is performed now) otherwise;

- Z is an instance name if there are more than a single adapter of
that type. If possible, it would be better to allow the driver to
specify a friendly name for the instance, instead of #n. Or it can be
renamed by a user.

Regards,
Eugene