[wdmaudiodev] Re: MediaCategories naming support in Vista

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mitchell Rundle <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:19:27 +0600

> This will probably work as you expect it to if you either
> 1) delete the device from device manager before "reinstalling", or
> 2) increment the version number in the inf before "upgrading"

I never make an "upgrading" of the driver in my tests. I used DevCon
to uninstall it and then deleted inf/pnf file from windows\inf
directory. Then I installed it again, not changing anything in my inf
file. Is it enough to completely remove and reinstall the driver?

Now I did as you recommended, and see no my custom names at all, only
"Microphone" and "Line In".

BTW, how Vista compares the GUIDs from MediaCategories? Is the
comparison case-sensitive? If yes, how to form a correct GUID? I see
some GUIDs are uppercase but some have lowercase letters in Data3.

And does Vista a kind of "caching" the names got from MediaCategories
list?

Regards,
Eugene