[wdmaudiodev] Re: I need to use my driver instead of wdmaud.drv

  • From: Larry Osterman <Larry.Osterman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:51:10 +0000

The information I've seen says that we continue to support the old driver model
for MIDI software synths.  In addition, we support as much of the old wave
interfaces as are needed to support unimodem drivers.

It may be possible for Igor to get his solution working on Windows XP but he's
going to face significantly more challenges moving forward for Windows Vista
and beyond.

I've said this before on wdmaudiodev and I'll reiterate it here: IMHO driver
developers shouldn't spend a significant amount of time engineering solutions
that are known to have forward compatibility issues.  Instead I'd concentrate
my development resources towards solutions that will work and be supported on
both Windows XP AND Windows Vista/7.

As far as I can see, Windows XP's market share is only going to decrease as
time moves forward.  By designing a solution that works only on XP, you may be
painting yourself in a corner.

Larry Osterman