[wdmaudiodev] Re: I need to use my driver instead of wdmaud.drv

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:37:46 -0700

Larry Osterman wrote:
> You're going to have some challenges replacing wdmaud.drv.  You're trying to
> use what I call the NT4 driver model which has been deprecated for non-MIDI
> audio drivers since sometime around 1998 (with the advent of the WDM driver
> model).  In particular, starting with Windows Vista the hooks for the mixer
> driver aren't supported at all (and the wave hooks are only supported because
> the TAPI component in Windows depends on it for certain classes of telephony
> applications).

It's interesting to hear you say that.  One of my clients (who does TAPI
stuff) was told by a PSS representative that all support for the
installable driver model had been dropped as of Windows Server 2008.
They had me write a drop-in replacement for winmm.dll (at least the
waveIn and waveOut portions), which turned out to demonstrate how
trivial that layer is.