[wdmaudiodev] Re: Hardware mixing

  • From: Vipin Kumar <vipin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:54:25 -0800

Hi,
    thanks for pointing that out , basically i don't want to  skip kmixer,
but want it create multiple streams, for some streams, remaining streams it
can mix

 i tried creating multiple input streams( say 4 sound recorders working,)
and i was able to get 4 streams , i would like to receive the same mechanism
for playback also.

Also, i have found that user mode multimedia drivers  can also do similiar
job but i was not able to find any samples for them except some
documentation in msdn. follow

Do any samples  exist for user mode installable multimedia drivers?? can
some one point me out.

Thanks for your time.

Vipin

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Vipin Kumar wrote:
> >
> > Lets say a real sound card can mix 64 playback streams in
> > hardware,(but then this functionality is never used because kmixer
> > will do the mixing in software) , so how to tell the kmixer to not mix
> > streams, but instead invoke new streams, so as we can handle the
> > mixing ourselves.
> >
> > come on,  the makers of audio devices( real hardware devices) must be
> > doing this
>
> Why do you think so?  The kernel mixer is pretty good, it's easier to
> debug than hardware, and it can handle an arbitrary number of streams.
> Whatever solution you propose is going to have some upper limit.  What
> happens when you hit the limit?
>
> If you develop a mixer, then I think you write a mixer driver, not a
> render driver.  However, I'm getting out of my depth here.
>

> > there should be a way, to stop kmixer mixing for all streams.
>
> I don't know how hard you looked, but it only took me one Google page to
> find this:
>    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Bypassing_Windows_Mixer
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx