[wdmaudiodev] Re: Hardware mixing

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:12:44 -0700

Vipin Kumar wrote:

> Lets say a real sound card can mix 64 playback streams in
> hardware,(but then this functionality is never used because kmixer
> will do the mixing in software) , so how to tell the kmixer to not mix
> streams, but instead invoke new streams, so as we can handle the
> mixing ourselves.
>
> come on,  the makers of audio devices( real hardware devices) must be
> doing this

Why do you think so?  The kernel mixer is pretty good, it's easier to
debug than hardware, and it can handle an arbitrary number of streams.
Whatever solution you propose is going to have some upper limit.  What
happens when you hit the limit?

If you develop a mixer, then I think you write a mixer driver, not a
render driver.  However, I'm getting out of my depth here.

> there should be a way, to stop kmixer mixing for all streams.

I don't know how hard you looked, but it only took me one Google page to
find this:
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Bypassing_Windows_Mixer