[wdmaudiodev] Re: Audio WDM devices in Remote Desktop

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Frank Yerrace <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:26:31 +0700

Hello Frank,

> If I recall, in order to "Leave [sound] at remote computer" you have
> to connect to the console session of Windows Server 2003. You can do
> this by starting the Remote Desktop client with the console option.
> Run "mstsc /console".

Yes, I can connect to the console session using "mstsc /console". But
I cannot understand why I cannot use a general Remote Desktop
connection specifying "Leave at remote computer" option when connect
to Windows 2003 server. Microsoft documentation said nothing about
this issue.

And I see the same Windows 2003 Server behavior: regardless of "Remote
Computer Sound" selection ("Leave at remote computer" or "Bring to
this computer"), Windows 2003 Server ALWAYS presents only RDP Audio
Driver as a valid device. Other devices are counted (waveOutGetNumDevs
returns 4) but only "RDP Audio Driver" name is returned by
waveOutGetDevCaps. For other three devices waveOutGetDevCaps
returns MMSYSERR_BADDEVICEID.

BTW, RDP Audio Driver does not work too. waveOutOpen always returns
MMSYSERR_NODRIVER, regardless of an audio format.

Regards,
Eugene