[visionrehabtherapist] Re: gourmet client

  • From: Penny Reeder <penny.reeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmlien@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 00:17:05 -0400

Here are several recipes.  All involve lots of prepping of
ingredients, and all are delicious!
Enjoy!
Penny

Burgundy Beef With Portobella Mushrooms and Pearl Onions (Crockpot Recipe)

2 pounds beef bottom round
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup burgundy wine
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
8 ounces Portobello mushrooms, sliced
5 ounces white pearl onions
2 cloves garlic, minced fine

Mix together wine, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, and garlic.
Add sliced mushrooms and pearl onions and let marinate while browning
meat.

Mix together the flour, salt, pepper and allspice. Coat meat on all
sides. Keep reserved flour mixture.

Heat pan on high heat and add olive oil. Brown meat on all sides.
Transfer to crockpot.

Pour wine marinade with mushrooms and onions over meat. Cook on Low
for 8 to 10 hours or High 4 to 5 hours..

Remove meat, onions and mushrooms from crockpot. Remove any visible
fat from liquid.

Place liquid in small saucepan over med-high heat. Add saved flour
mixture and stir until gravy is thickened. Serve over meat and
mushrooms or on the side.

Servings: 4

NOTE:  Any mushrooms you happen to love will work well, and frozen
pearl onions (available at Trader Joe's and elsewhere) save a lot of
time and are just as delicious as fresh.

Crock Pot Corned Beef Cooked in Beer
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Ingredients:
6 carrots, cut into chunks
2 onions, chopped
2-3 lb. corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
12 oz. can beer (non alcoholic is fine)
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
8 wedges cabbage
Preparation:
In 4-6 quart crockpot, combine carrots and onions. Rinse corned beef
under cold running
water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in crockpot and sprinkle
with contents
of seasoning mix. Pour beer over brisket and spread mustard on brisket. In small
bowl mix brown sugar with water and pour over brisket. Cover crockpot
and cook on
low setting for 11-12 hours.
Remove corned beef from crockpot and cover with foil to keep warm. Add
cabbage wedges
to vegetables and liquid in crockpot. Cover crockpot and cook on high
for additional
30-40 minutes or until cabbage is crisp tender.
To serve, cut corned beef across grain into thin slices. Remove
vegetables from slow
cooker with slotted spoon and serve with corned beef. Serve cooking
juices over the
food, if desired. Offer additional mustard on the side. 8 servings

NOTE:  If it's not near St. Patrick's Day, and you can't find the
corned beef that comes packaged with a seasoning mix, pickling spices
(available in the spice aisle of most supermarkets) work just fine!

Crock Pot Ribs and Beans
From Southern Living
2 16-oz. Cans pinto beans, drained
4 pounds country-style pork ribs, trimmed
1 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10.5-oz. Jar red jalapeno jelly
1 18-oz. Bottle favorite barbecue sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce

Place beans in slow cooker and set aside.

Sprinkle ribs with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and cut apart,
placing on broiler pan.  Broil, 5-1/2-inches from heat, 18-22 minutes,
turning once, until browned.

Add ribs to slow cooker and sprinkle with onion.

Combine jelly, barbecue sauce and hot sauce in sauce pan.  Cook over
low heat until jelly melts.

Pour over ribs and stir gently.

Cover, and cook on high 5 to 6 hours, or on low, 9-10 hours.

Remove ribs.  Drain beans reserving sauce.  Skim fat from sauce.
Arrange ribs over beans, and serve with sauce.

Homemade Barbecue Sauce:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup cider vinegar
6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
In a medium non-reactive saucepan set over medium-high heat, add the butter and,
when melted, add the onions and cook until they are very soft, about 4
minutes. Add
the garlic, paprika,  cajun seasoning, ground mustard, salt, crushed
red pepper, black pepper,
and cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and
cook, stirring
frequently, for 2 minutes, or until the tomato paste begins to brown.
Add the water,
cider vinegar, and dark brown sugar, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low
and cook until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have come together, about
15 to 20 minutes.
Set aside to cool before using. The sauce may be made up to 1 week in
advance and
refrigerated in an airtight, non-reactive container.
Yield: about 3 cups sauce

Or, Quick BBQ Sauce:  Combine:
Ketchup - 1 1/4 c.
Water - 3/4 c.
Honey or molasses - 1/4 c.
Worcestershire Sauce - 2 TB.
Lemon Juice - 4 tsp.
Onion - 1, small-sized.
Salt - 1/2 tsp.
Pepper - 1/2 tsp.

Crockpot Swedish Meatballs
Published in: Casseroles and Crockpots

Ingredients

        1 1/2   cup     fresh bread crumbs
        1 1/2   pounds  ground chuck
        2               eggs
        1 3/4   teaspoons       salt
        1/8     teaspoons       cardamom -- optional
        1/8     teaspoons       freshly-ground black pepper
        2       tablespoons     flour
        1       cup     milk or cream
        1/2     pounds  lean ground pork
        1       medium  onion -- chopped fine
        1/8     teaspoons       nutmeg
        10 1/2  ounces  beef consomme or broth
        2       tablespoons     butter -- melted
        1/4     teaspoons       allspice

Instructions

Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes in a large
mixing bowl. Add beef, pork, eggs, onion, 1 1/2
teaspoon salt, allspice, nutmeg and cardamom. Mix
well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on broiler pan
and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Put browned meatballs in crock pot. Add 1/2 can beef
consomme or broth, pepper and remaining salt. Cover
and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours (HIGH 2 to 3 hours).
To thicken gravy, turn crock pot to high. Combine
butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add paste to
remaining 1/2 can consomme and pour into crock pot.
Cook until thickened, about 45 minutes.

Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce

>From Suzanne Vandyck

Serves 6.

1 lb. eggplant, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, cut into small strips
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz.) can stewed tomatoes, Italian style
2 tbls. tomato paste
4 ozs. mushrooms, sliced
1 chili pepper, seeds removed and chopped (optional)
1 tsp. dried crumbled oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried rosemary
Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste
Kalamata or California olives for garnish
Grated Parmesan cheese

1. Combine all ingredients in the VitaClay pot, except olives.

2. Stir well.

3. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours.

4. Serve over your choice of pasta with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese
and top with olives for garnish.

Cream of Crab Soup
2 cups crabmeat; flaked and picked
2 cups milk
2 cups half-and-half
3 tablespoons butter
2 lemon peel strips
1/2 teaspoon mace; ground
1 salt and pepper
2 tablespoons dry sherry; opt.
1/2 cup saltine crackers

Combine all ingredients except sherry and crushed crackers in
Crock-Pot; >stir well. Cover and cook on Low setting for 3 to 5 hours.
Just before
serving, stir in sherry and crumbs to thicken. Makes about 2 quarts. Note:
You may also add shrimp to this soup for variation.

NOTE:  I substitute Old Bay for the mace. SOURCE:Rival

Yield: 4 servings

       Caramelized Onion Soup - Crockpot       A Cuisinart slow cooker recipe.
            4 lbs onions, peeled and sliced
            2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
            2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
            1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
            2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
            1 tablespoon brown sugar
            6 cups meat stock, half chicken and half beef,hot
            2 tablespoons port wine

      4 servings

      10 hours 40 minutes 10 mins prep

        Combine onions, butter, olive oil and salt in the crock pot.
        Cover and cook on high for one hour.
        Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-6 hours, until nicely browned.
        Stir every hour so the onions color evenly.
        When onions are done, sprinkle in flour and sugar.
        Cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
        Add hot stock and cook on high for one hour.
        Reduce to low for 2 hours longer.
        Stir in Port.
        Serve soup with slices of toasted French bread, topped with melted
        cheese.

NOTE:  You can make caramelized onions this way as well:  Peel and
slice 3-5 pounds of onions. Fill crock pot with onions, salting and
peppering each layer, top with 1 stick of unsalted butter, sliced into
approximately 1-TBSP. pieces. Cover crock pot.  Cook onions overnight.
 Use to make onion soup, or any other recipe that calls for
caramelized onions.  Delicious, and they freeze perfectly!

Crock Pot Cajun Greens
Note, This recipe works well with kale too!
Introduction
Collard greens, which are popular in the South, are a particularly
tasty member of
the kale family. Unlike most vegetables, they are very tolerant of
long, slow cooking.
Serve with hot cornbread to soak up the tasty sauce.
Ingredients
Serves 6 to 8
2 slices bacon
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
2 cup tomatoes, coarsely chopped, including juice (I use canned stewed tomatoes)
2 pounds fresh collard greens, tough stems removed and chopped into
2-inch lengths.
(See Tips, below)
Hot pepper sauce, optional
Red wine vinegar, optional
Directions
In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, until crisp. Drain on paper towel and
crumble. Set aside. Drain all but 1 Tbsp. fat from pan and reduce heat
to medium.
Add onions to pan and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, salt
and peppercorns
and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Place greens in slow cooker stoneware. Add tomato mixture and stir to
combine. Cover
and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until greens are
tender. Serve
with hot pepper sauce or a splash of vinegar, if desired.
TIPS: You'll need 2 bunches of greens for this recipe.
Collards require a thorough washing before being cooked. Soak the trimmed greens
in several changes of tepid water, agitating to remove grit. Then
rinse thoroughly,
in a colander, under cold running water.

Overnight Crock Pot Oatmeal
Here's a way to use a slow
cooker as a bain marie in which to cook your breakfast oatmeal
overnight, and what better way to be greeted on a chilly morning than
with a steaming batch of steel cut oats, ready for a dollop of rich,
toasty almond
butter and a swirl of honey.  Or maple syrup, or your favorite topping!
This recipe is from Food52.com!
 Serves 2-3
2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup almond butter
2-3 tablespoons flavourful honey
In a 4-cup glass measuring jug, stir together the water, milk, steel-cut oatmeal
and salt. Place in a large slow-cooker, add enough cold water to come halfway up
the side of the jug (less is fine, because there's so little
evaporation with a slow-cooker),
switch on "low" and go to bed.
In the morning, stir in the almond butter and honey. There will be a
tablespoon's
worth of grain clumped together at the bottom of the glass jug; it is
fully cooked,
though, and needs only to be mixed in. Serve. You'll have a halo of
warmth around
you for the rest of the morning.

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx