[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Certification Follow-up

  • From: "Elida Gares" <elidag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:20:58 -0500

I too have both O&M and VRT degrees and certifications but
feel that I have every confidence in decisions I make when
working with consumers in RT. I think it depends on which
discipline you have the most passion for. I agree that O&M
skills are based on previous taught skills and there is an end
to the instruction when the consumer's goal has been reached. I
also believe that in RT the consumer may have ideas about what their
goals are but because they aren't familiar with techniques that allow
them to build on their skills or because society has already groomed them
that blindness means they can't do the cooking or cleaning, etc. they need
our guidance to "see" that they can be productive and capable. We need to
encourage (not force) them to try things they are reluctant to do because
someone has told them they don't need to do certain chores any more because
they can't see well. I think because RT is my passion I feel when I work
with a client I can make a difference in their lives, even if it is just to
get the appliances marked. Now the person doesn't need anyone to help them
to operate the appliances any more and then often times that gives the
person the confidence to call and say they want me to come back because they
now feel they can do more. Elida