[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Certification Follow-up

  • From: "McInnis, Janet (DLEG)" <mcinnisj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Maduffy@xxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:20:56 -0500

I would like to spend some time thinking on this, I have all kinds of thoughts
and ideas.  But, just so you guys know, when I queried what a CVRT was at an
acronym site this is what I got:

CVRT          Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance Tracked

so, we have some work to do!

I have an O&M degree and and RT degree, 1986 and 1987.  As an O&M person, I had
more structure, more visibility and for lack of a better word, power when
working with a client.  As an RT, I work more behind the scenes, take myself
less seriously, and oft times let the client guide me.  It is the nature of the
job for me.  There are so many ways one can cook, write, dial a phone, tell
time, use a magnifier, thread a needle, sign a check...
whereas, when I teach cane skills, I tend to be more rigid and do it my way...
In the greater scheme of things, the O&M that I do, and it is not near enough
mind you, is simply one more aspect of my rehab teaching areas.
Anyhow, perhaps it is that we as VRTs have less an ego than mobility
instructors, less confidence in ourselves to make the strong statements about
certification, overwhelmed by jobs where we are never done (O&M is one skill,
that builds upon a previous skill...VRT has endless skill areas, we are never
done) or we feel like we are never done and are enablers in some way.  I don't
know. But those are my initial thoughts.  The CVRT being a combat vehickle
reconnaissance tracked is priceless, and I had to share that with you guys.
Janet McInnis