[visionary] Re: advocacy issues

  • From: jheumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: visionary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:06:37 -0400

I would like to add another item, the UN Convention on Disability.  Over the
last few years there has been a growing awareness from many within the
international disability community that there is a need to develop and have
passed a UN Convention on Disability.  USCID, which is the U.S. representative
for Disabled People's International and Rehabilitation International, has been
acting as the coordinator in the U.S.  Activities would include writing letters
to members of congress and the White House urging support from the U.S. in the
development and passage of such a resolution, and participating in educational
activities to help educate the disability population from within the U.S. about
the conditions of disabled people around the world, collaborating with
disability rights leaders in other parts of the world on this effort.

Judith E. Heumann
Advisor, Disability and Development
G8 137
(202) 458-9045
(202) 345-0167 (cell)

                    Nicole Fawcett

                    <nfawcett@icanonline       To:

                    .net>                       "'Visionary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"

                    Sent by:                    <Visionary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                    visionary-bounce@fre       cc:

                    elists.org                 Subject:     [visionary]
advocacy issues

                    07/12/2002 10:43 AM

                    Please respond to

                    visionary

Hi gang. I received a lot of response to our call for advocacy issues and
have assembled a list of those I think will most fit in with the goal of
this feature. I will list the topics below.

Can all of you please send me your top 5-10 choices of what issues you think
are most important? Also, if you could, please suggest an action that people
can take at this time on any of these issues (call Congress, rally their
local community, start a petition, etc).

I hope to start this feature on Monday and run one issue each day through
July 26. If possible, please send me your picks by the end of today
(Friday).

Feel free to add suggestions not on the list as well. Thanks for your help!

-MiCASSA
-Medicare homebound amendment
-ADA Notification Act
-IDEA reauthorization
-euthanasia
-forced institutionalization/Olmstead implementation
-state legislation and budgets
-housing
-Assistive Technology Act
-Ticket to Work
-Supreme Court and the ADA
-transportation (public as well as funding for private)
-election reform
-prescription drugs
-accessible congregations
-chemical sensitivities