(VICT) retreiving, how to teach to grab

  • From: "Ioana Gandrabur" <igandrabur@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clickertraining" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:47:50 -0400

Greetings everyone,
I had sent this some time ago but I think I might have made a mistake when I
sent it.

I have been interested to teach my dog to retrieve and thatch objects for me.
It is to important, more like a fun project. Especially bringing toys back to
me might seem useful. I have read articles referred to in some earlier posts
about teaching the dog to touch, grab, hold and give from the hand and then
from the lap and finally further away. I can not seem to get him to grab. He
touches the object and if I delay clicking he will lick it enthusiastically and
try to put his paw on it but never grabbing it. He does grab toys and brings
them to me but only if he feels like it. So I don't think he has a sensitive
mouth that makes him dislike it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards and thanks for the interesting messages.

Ioana and Guide dog Adrian