(VICT) Re: Where We Have Been

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:03:02 -0700

Hi Ann
I am pawsitively exhausted right now as I type this- just got back from a
very long training session where I realize that I really overdid me- my
shoulder can only handle so much since the injury in December...I hate
limitations like that.
Honestly I never really start out with structured training such as writing
out a training plan. I just rather go with the flow LOL
Often times I don't even have a clear plan for the day at hand- just do what
seems feasible based on both Thane and I after we get a run in.
Of course after having trained Met, remembering our hangups together and
where and how we excelled, it is easier to plan for this kind of thing in my
head.
I had an experience that I welcomed on our route today both for Thane's need
for a kid to pet him again and my need to see how to proceed in his behavior
when people pet him. Lets just say we have a lot of work there to do but it
was all OK with both the mother, young child and me. They wanted to say
hello and asked first. I wanted to give this to Thane in the worst way along
with having this experience to show me what to work on. What really pleased
me is that once they went on their way, Thane was right back in harness
ready to continue on.
We have areas where Thane walks wonderful in harness and others where he
wants to pull like asled dog, head pulled low, etc so we certainly still
have work to do. These sled dog incidents though are all in heavier traffic
or when a lot of people have been passing by- all newer exposures for him
now which will diminish the more we train in these situations.
I really know in my heart that he is going to turn into an awesome guide
dog- as I see it already. I have tried to make him take paths that will run
us into stationary obstacles and he basically gives me the *heave-ho*
proving he knows that we don't go that way!
We do have an issue I had not realized we had. He does not like to walk on
metal grates. Is there someone with experience training this aspect? I don't
remember how I worked through it with Met. There is an area in town that has
a lot of them and avoidance of them is on the dangerous side so I need to
figure a way to deal with this.
I can't believe he wants me to play after all that exercise!

Karyn and Thane (GDIT, HDIT)
http://www.pawsitively-k9.com