(VICT) Training the Block for Better Safety

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:20:22 -0700

After some good input from someone on a list the other day, I have decided
to re-train Thane's alert for a car. Before I just had him halt. I was
concerned about running him over with my chair so I did not have him block
my path as most who are ambulatory do.
After the incident last week though, I have felt the desire to add further
training to this to prevent a catastrophe from happening to either of us in
the future.
I could use some input that anyone whose guide blocks their path could
provide.
What I am curious about is if you train this for every driveway and
intersection initially and then phase the block to just when cars or other
dangers are there or would I just train it where those dangers are present
from the start.
It could take us forever to walk a neighborhood street if he halted and
blocked at every driveway irregardless of whether it was safe or dangerous
so I am suspecting the latter is how its best to train this.
Today when we went out I just placed my hand down in position where I wanted
his nose to wind up and said target so that he blocked my path, then I told
him back and forward so that we could travel in unison again. It was a bit
confusing to him, but he did well with my requests.
I just could use some confirmation on whether my concept of only doing it
when cars are there is the best way to go about this.

Karyn and Thane