(VICT) Re: Training the Block for Better Safety

  • From: "Gisele Mesnage" <gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:54:14 +1000

Hi Karyn,
It appears that traffic safety training techniques may be different here in
Australia, as I had not heard of guides being trained to block the path.  When
I did my traffic training session with my dog Katie, it was explained to me
that the dog   stops at every kerbside and waits for the forward command from
me.  But she stops alongside me, and she does not block my path. I have to move
forward to my "number one position", in line with her head.  If there is a car
or other hazard in our path, the dog disobeys the forward command.  I was told
this was called "selective disobedience".  At that point, I have to say, "good
dog, forward when you can," and wait until the dog makes a move before dropping
back to my "number two position" and starting off again.  With driveways
though, the dog does not stop unless there is a hazard.  For example, the other
day in the city, Katie suddenly stopped when we were walking up a street, and I
realised a car had just pulled out of the driveway of a church.  Now, we had
walked up and down this street a few times before, and I had not even realised
there was a driveway there because she had just kept walking on.  But if it's a
street, even a lane way, she will stop at the kerb regardless of whether there
is traffic or not.    I guess things would be different for you in a
wheelchair, though.

Cheers,
Gisele

gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx