(VICT) Teaching a play retrieve

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bviclickertraining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:09:30 -0400

I don't want this for a task, but just to make sure my girl get's exercise.

How do you teach a fun retrieve with the clicker, will explain what she is
doing in my living room, with minimal distractions.

Guinevere, will be standing in front of me, and i will have the holey
roller.

I will give her a look at it, wave the toy in front of her, then toss it.
She runs over, picks it up, and I call come, and she brings it back to huge
praise!  This works if the distractions aren't there.

Can I click and treat for the bringing back of the toy or is this to
advanced.  Should I go back to the basics with just hold.

And how do you teach it, on carpet, with no visual assistance, smile.

I don't mind doing some luring or physical manipulation, as long as it gets
the job done, and she understands.  Guinevere is a very clicker wise dog, so
if I can use this tool, I think she may enjoy fetch as a fun activity to
keep her mind active and away from nibbling on herself, which she does when
she is bored, smile.  She is a good bone dog, particularly if another dog
has had his or her spit on it, smile.

It may just be I am expecting too much, but I know my last pup had a good
reliable fetch, after about two months, so want to start working with her on
it.

She is a sharp little blighter.

Smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI