(VICT) Males vs. females.

  • From: Melinda Rauch <mrauch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:20:05 -0500

Hi all,

Melinda and Smokey, My Mellow Fellow here,

Smokey is the first male dog that I've ever had as a guide.  Like Karen, I
think that it depends more on the individual dog and not so much the gender
of the dog.  Smokey is just as watchful as April was, but he does so in a
different manner intirely than she did.  While she kept her eye on me at
all times, lying in the same room or doorway of the same room, he will
actually follow me around, lying as close to me as he can.  He isn't
clingy, he is just very attentive.  He will rest his head or paw on me when
he wants me to know he's there, while My Happy Husky would nudge me and if
that didn't get my attention, she would howl in my face until I recognized
her.  As far as work habbits go, they are both about the same, meaning that
they have very similar working styles and ethics.  And, just in case anyone
is interested, Smokey doesn't lift his leg on things, he has never tried to
mark his territory in harness, he has never tried to mount anyone or
anything, and he isn't anymore interested in dogs even if they are female
than any other dog might be.  He has, on occasion, tried to sneak in the
occasional butt sniff, but he will usually get back on track quickly.
After all, he's a dog.  This is an interesting thread though.

Take care, and be safe out there!

Your friends always,

Melinda and Smokey My Mellow Fellow and April, now our angel dog.
mrauch@xxxxxxxxx