(VICT) Retrieve: Cali

  • From: care4k9@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:44:03 +0000

    Mona,

       When a dog retrievess, they have a mouth that was designed to rip flesh
from bones. They also use their mouths to pick up their young if needed. Dos
will also use their paws to help manipulate an object they find difficult to
pick up. With a horse, their lips are better than a dog's. I've seen horses
pick up items just with their lips. Its kind of cute. So, there might be items
a horse can pick up a dog can't and vise versa, what a dog can but a horse
can't. This would be fun to play around with. I know with many show animals
they have taught picking up litems, like pigs, birds etc. So I'm very sure it
can be done with horses.

        With items Cali might not be able to pick up why not teach a target?
You can either teach a hoof target or nose target. At least that way you can
find the item.

--
Christy Hill
A'Mickey