(VICT) Resuming work after a break; was: Our Latest Adventure: Things I am Still Learning

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:26:26 -0400

Hi, Tami,

I'm happy to hear you mention that clicker trained animals do not lose their
working condition as traditionally trained animals do when there is a time
gap in their active work.  This is definitely true of Panda.  But because
she is of a different species, I have not been sure whether this is due to
the fact that she is a horse or to the fact that she is clicker trained.
Horses have been found to remember 95% of what they learned over a period of
2 years, or something like that, so I wasn't sure that clicker training
would have the same effect on the working ability of dogs as well.

But it makes sense, of course, that if learned tasks are associated with
positive consequences and pleasant memories, that the animal would be eager
to resume those behaviors when given the opportunity to do so, even after a
break, and that the added motivation would increase the animals consistency
and reliability.

The main effect that I see when we resume working after a break is that
Panda is even more eager to get out and work than usual, and she may kick up
her heels a bit with enthusiasm in the first block or two that we walk.  It
is never a dangerous situation, and in fact,I always find it kind of
charming that she is showing such joy in her work.

I'm sorry that you have been having a hard time with your health issues, and
I'm glad that things are coming around for you now.  Hope the situation
continues to improve, and you have smooth sailing from here on.

All the best to you and Mitzie,
Ann