(VICT) Re: my bilingual dog

  • From: "Tamara Smith-Kinney" <tamara.8024@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:53:58 -0700

Rox,

/lol/  I can just see Mill'E watching you sign, catching every word.  =
Yup, a
smart dog is a scary dog.  Mitzi isn't bilingual, but she does pick =
things
up from casual conversation and will act on what she hears whether I =
mean
her to or not.  She will also respond to my musings around the house.  =
"Now,
where's the...  Oh!  Good dog!"  Sometimes she responds better to a =
muttered
question than an actual "find it" command.  Silly poodle!

I'm trying to think how I indicate to her that I'm just gabbing with =
some
human and that she should take a chill pill and let us get on with it...
She's learned to do that so well that I still panic once in a while =
because
she has "disappeared."  It's one of those behaviors that just snapped =
into
place with maturity, along with all the zillion other things I've been
nagging her about for all these months.  /smile/  She's learned to =
interpret
my body language and tone, I guess, but I use "wait" as the verbal cue =
that
she needs to just hang until I'm ready to move on.

Would that sort of command work with Mill'E?  I see it as a variation on
"stay" or "down" or any of the other commands for some form of =
stillness.
If that makes sense.  Stillness not being Mitzi's strong suit -- until
recently, she had to really try and couldn't always manage -- we've =
worked
towards it gradually, so I seem to have a number of nuanced commands to
indicate which variety of stillness I'm looking for....

I think I just confessed to rank heresy.  /smile/  I've been reading a
fascinating discussion on another list about the use of commands to =
convey
various concepts (like find, straight, halt, etc.).  Does it all boil =
down
to the four basic commands (or three, even)?  Or do our dogs grasp the
vocabularies we use to indicate our wishes on a more refined basis?

Now I'm just rambling.  But my best suggestion is to coin a separate =
command
and hand signal to indicate that it's time for her to just watch while =
you
get on with your business.  It's something that you could start using =
around
the house then gradually work in for more complex settings.

Just some thoughts.  HTH

Tami Smith-Kinney